Sunday, June 24, 2012

The lady of the house, in the library, with a book

Love myself a little game of Clue reference!

First room up on the pictorial tour is the room formerly known as the front room, the den, the living room, the other living room, and the family room. Poor thing, she didn't know what she was supposed to be. As a result, neither did we.

When we planned the renovation, the mister and I thought about rooms we each wanted. He wanted an office. I wanted a room without a TV. Presenting, the library:

When I said I wanted a room without a TV, the mister couldn't conceive of what what we'd use the room for. Reading, I said. And games and puzzles. Talking to one another. Homework. Napping. Flipping through photo albums. Arts and crafts. Snuggling. And more reading. 














The gorgeous Storm Over Marsh holds pride of place on the main wall. I love seeing it first thing when I walk in the house.


These windows look out the front of the house. It's like the library is an indoor porch.


This is the view from the back hallway, as you're coming out of the office. The mister is a music guy, and sometimes when I'm sitting in the library I can hear it softly playing in the background.






On the table in front of the couch is a tray of stuff. Photo albums. Haiku cubes (make your own poetry!). A Jane Austen candle in the silver tin.

The library has books and books and more books. We have a 1,000 piece puzzle already going on the corner table. Comfy pillows. We'd like a throw or two, but in the meantime snuggle up in quilts my grandmother made me (and who am I kidding; throw or not, those quilts are the most coveted).

As soon as I get around to it, I'm ordering 8x10 sizes of the Biltmore gargoyles I took pictures of recently. We have huge frames they'll go in, and then they'll be hung behind the couch. I'm thinking some kind of mirror will hang behind the round side table, giving the person in the corner chair a view of the outside. Speaking of the corner chair, it will be getting a new home soon and a chair currently in our master will take its place. Lastly, we have a side table coming in for the other side of the couch where currently a magazine bin rests.

It's a fantastic room, and I envision all sorts of quiet days, and laughter-filled nights, and special moments, and everyday happenings taking place right in this room. I expect it's also where we'll celebrate Christmas, and I'm already imagining how pretty the tree will be to look at every night.

It's a work-in-progress. Like all of us. Welcome to our library.





















No comments:

Post a Comment